No one likes those 50 shades of dark circles under the eyes. (Pun intended)
They make you look like an overtired irritable human, when in reality you are a cheery flapper bird!
It does not come as a surprise that dark circles are actually the most asked about beauty woe there is, and if you are reading this, you are looking for either a curative or a preventive measure against them. But in order to remove them, let’s first understand them.
What are dark circles and why do they happen?
Periorbital dark circles aka dark circles is a fairly common condition that most of the people experience during their life. Dark circles give your face a permanently tired look and gradually grow bigger if left untreated.
Although the common belief is that lack of sleep is the only reason behind it, that’s not entirely true. Pandas get enough sleep and they have dark circles, see!
As per our team of skin experts, “ Both genetics and lifestyle choices can cause dark circles. Lack of sleep is indeed the biggest cause, but not the only cause. Other genetic reasons include skin type and heredity whereas lifestyle reasons could be as simple as dehydration, lack of sleep, stress, sun exposure or excessive use of makeup”
How to get rid of dark circles?
While the curative measure is using the right skin care regimen, which keeps in mind both your skin type and lifestyle choices, here is a list of preventive measures that you can keep in mind:
- Never rub your eyes vigorously - it can irritate the eyes and deepen the circles.
- Always use a gentle makeup remover to avoid inflammation.
- Drink enough water - 8-10 glasses of water per day is a must to keep your skin hydrated
- Adhere to an anti-inflammatory diet- fruits, vegetables, lean protein, nuts, seeds and healthy fats.
- Apply sunscreen every time you get out of your house.
- But above everything, get enough sleep. Always aim for 7-8 hours of sleep to give your skin enough time to replenish itself.
P.S. You can answer your lifestyle questions and upload a selfie here - our skin experts will take a look at it and let you know the causes of your dark circles and give you the right ingredients to get rid of them.